- 12 – 20 Brown or White Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- ¼ Cup of finely chopped red onion
- ½ Cup Cheddar Cheese or Blue Cheese
- ½ Cup Walnuts copped
- ¼ Teaspoon cayenne pepper (Optional)
- Black pepper to taste (Optional)
A family favorite, my mother would serve these appetizers to our guests arriving for Thanksgiving dinner. She prepped the stuffed mushrooms a couple hours ahead and then put them into the oven as the first guest arrived. I normally fix 1 – 2 mushrooms for each guest and have never had leftovers.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or lightly oil with olive oil. Clean mushrooms with a paper towel. Carefully break off stems. Chop stems extremely fine, discarding tough end of stems.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chopped mushroom stems to the skillet. Cook until onions are translucent and moisture from mushroom stems has disappeared.
- Stir in Cheddar or Blue cheese, Walnuts, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Mixture should be very thick. Using a spoon, fill each mushroom cap with a generous amount of stuffing. Arrange the mushroom caps on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees in the preheated oven, or until the mushrooms are piping hot and liquid starts to form under caps.