- BBQ Veggie Chicken
- 1 – 4 Pieces Chick’n Scalloopini (Brand Gardein or favorite veggie Chicken)
- ¼ Cup Vegan BBQ Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire sauce (store bought or see recipe)
- ¼ Teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- Steamed Broccoli
- 1 Bunch Broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter (or butter substitute)
- Lemon juice
- Mushroom Gravy – Gluten-
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (vegan use Olive Oil or butter substitute)
- 2 Tablespoons Sorgham or Quinoa Flour
- ½ Onion, finely chopped
- 10 White or Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- 3 Cups Milk (vegan use Hemp or soy milk)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ¼ Teaspoon or 4 Twiggs of Fresh Thyme
- ¼ Teaspoon or 2 Twiggs of Fresh Oregano
- Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
- Baked Potatoes
- 1 – 4 Baked Potatoes (1 for each person)
This is one of my favorite dinners after a long day at work– it’s tasty and easy to make. The baked potatoes take an hour but you can put them in the oven first thing after you walk into your home after work. The broccoli is lightly steamed and the veggie chicken was grilled but could be cooked in oven as well. Last year we purchased a grill and have found it so easy to grill veggie meats and veggies.
Broccoli is loaded with nutrition, rich in iron, calcium, vitamin A and vitamin C. One serving has 7 grams of protein. It’s always healthy to include green foods in your meals every day.
This is a flavor rich mushroom gravy that can be serverd on top a baked potato or chicken if you decide not to BBQ.
Preheat oven to 400 F
- Place Potatoes in oven or toaster oven set at 400 F and bake for 1 hour
- Prep all ingredients for the Mushroom Gravy and set aside
- When there is about 25 minutes left on the baked potatoes, put a large pot of water with a Stainless Steel Steamer Basket (can use a pot with a steamer rim) on high to bring to a boil. Don’t put broccoli in yet.
- In a small bowl mix chopped garlic, BBQ Sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and optional liquid smoke.
- Place the veggie chicken on grill medium heat or in oven on a pan, if cook in oven turn down the oven to 350 F (if cooking potatoes)
- Cook for about 5 – 10 minutes turning it every couple of minutes, every time you turn with a basting brush cover the veggie chicken with the enhanced BBQ Sauce that you made in #4
- When you put the veggie chicken in the oven, put your broccoli in the steam basket.
Making the Mushroom Gravy
- Use a large sauce pan on medium heat and melt butter
- Add the mushrooms and stir occasionally until starting to get soft then
- Add onions, cook until soft and tender
- Add flour, stir a couple of times and add Milk product stir until all lumps are gone and then add herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep stirring until it becomes liquid becomes thick.
Putting it all together
- Place the veggie chicken on plate, cut your bake potato in half, take a fork and mash the potato, spoon the Mushroom Gravy over the bake potato. Optional can place a spoonful of vegan sour cream on top each potato.
- Place broccoli on plate, drizzle with butter and lemon