- 1 Package Elbows pasta (Quinoa for gluten-free)
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Wheat Flour (Quinoa flour for gluten-free)
- 1 Cup Hemp or Soy Milk
- 10 Brown or White Mushrooms (optional)
- 1 Cup Daiya Dairy Free Cheese (Pepper Jack or Cheddar)
- Sea Salt & Pepper to Taste
Macaroni and Cheese also known as Mac & Cheese is a popular dish in many parts of the world. Its origin is Europe where there are references to it from Greek, Italian and English sources and have been found in 14th century cookbooks. It was traditionally a macaroni and cheese casserole that was baked in the oven but most people cook it quickly on the stovetop instead.
The love of Mac & Cheese has grown over the years and currently many cities around the USA have restaurants devoted to this tasty dish! This recipe shows you how to make mac & cheese vegan but you can take this method of making it and use your favorite cheeses to make an excellent real cheese dish.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil with about 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil and a pinch of sea salt.
- (Optional) Heat 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil and add the mushrooms. Cook until soft being careful not to overcook. Set aside to be added later.
- Add pasta to water and follow directions on the package for cooking time. This varies from the brands of pasta.
- Heat 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat once it’s hot add the flour and stir.
- When it starts to bubble add the milk and keep stirring. Once this mixture is boiling add the vegan cheese.
- Keep stirring until the cheese has melted.
- Your pasta should be cooked by now, drain in a strainer.
- Add the pasta to the cheese mixture, add mushrooms if using.
- Stir the cheese sauce from the bottom over the pasta.
- Server and enjoy.